2011 Lacombe Arts Endowment Awards

Lacombe Arts Endowment Chair Denise Orr and Mayor Steve Christie present Molly Siebenga (centre) with a $1200 grant cheque.

The Lacombe Arts Endowment Committee is pleased to announce that Molly Siebenga was awarded a $1200 grant for further education and development in the arts. Her winning entry was a three-piece ceramic sculpture entitled I left a piece of my heart in Iona.
Molly Siebenga 'I left a piece of my heart in Iona' (2010). ceramic
"The sculpture is based on some time I spent on the Isle of Iona, a small island in Scotland’s Hebrides," said Molly. "I fell in love with this tiny island, with its view of the ocean, the colorful coastal houses, the black angel hair sheep, the history of the monks who first lived there, and the fact that you could walk across the entire island in a couple of hours. I feel like I have left a small piece of my heart there, as well as a strong pull to return one day."

"I am very excited for the opportunity that the grant from the Lacombe Arts Foundation is providing me with. One of my goals is to develop a ceramic glaze using locally dug clay, and the impurities in the clay could result in a variety of surfaces and colors," she added.

For now, Molly wants to continue learning as much as she can about ceramics, since it is a medium that that she truly enjoys working with, and wants to pursue for as long as she can.

As well, two young emerging artists, Jamie Kullman and Sarah Ritchie were awarded $250 each for participating in the 2011 Lacombe Art Exhibit and Sale. The grants are made possible in part through support from the Palette Pleasers Gourmet Cafe at the annual Lacombe Art Exhibit and Sale and the annual Arts Gala fundraising event.

Community Services staff Maureen MacKenzie (left) and Kim Berube (right) present a $250 award to Jamie Kullman.


Sarah Ritchie receives a $250 award cheque  from Lacombe Arts Endowment Committee Chair Denise Orr





Comments

Popular Posts